Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Choice to Attend U of Louisville for a Ph.D. in CECS

This is my second semester at the University of Louisville as a Ph.D. student. Before coming here a had a choice to make. I received acceptance letters from both the University of Minnesota and the University of Louisville. I am quite certain that I made the right decision considering my circumstances. The following paragraphs will seek to persuade potential students considering a Computer Science degree to attend the University of Louisville.

First let me state that I have only attended two universities in my day BYU and the U of L (as it is referred to here in Kentucky). I have nothing against any other university including the University of Minnesota (which I never was able to visit). I will not focus on the reasons not to attend other schools, instead I will only focus on the reasons one would pick to come to the University of Louisville.

The main reason I have for maintaining my choice of schools is personal attention. I have made a very weak attempt at getting to know any of the professors here at the U of L in the CECS (Computer Engineering and Computer Science) department. However, with such small class sizes and a small number of students working towards Ph.D.'s in my department, it is difficult to not be known on a first name basis. For example, the department chair, Dr. Elmaghraby, from whom I have never taken a class and who should perhaps be to busy to get to know me personally, I have talked with several times, including spending more than an hour in his office with only a simple question on my mind.

The second reason which has been very amenable to my wife is more affordable living than we previously had. I moved to Kentucky with my wife and two kids. We were able to find an apartment for cheaper than we were renting in Utah with more space, and Utah is not one of the more expensive places to live in my understanding.

Lastly, I have enjoyed my brief stay in Kentucky. People are more friendly and more patient here than what I have experienced in other parts of the country. Certainly there are drivers that prefer to double the speed limit, and some who are dishonest. Find me a state where this is not true. We have also come to love the large numbers of trees that we find in this area. There are states just as green or greener in terms of landscape than in Kentucky, but this has to be one of those things that quickly jumps out at you coming from the West (not including coastal states).

If you are interested in applying to the University of Louisville and still have doubts (how could you not considering the time investment of getting a Ph.D.) please leave a question in the comments section, and I can tell you specifics as they relate to your questions.

No comments: