Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Google Wishlist

What features do you wish Google Search had but doesn't?

Yesterday marks the start of my second year as a PhD student. I have been working on click fraud research, but soon I will be switching to Text Mining, but I need some ideas as to what I should do. To get the creative juices flowing, we will start by listing features that you wish Google Search had. Any type of feature, large or small, no matter how realistic it is. Here are some that I have come across that sound interesting:
  • Summarize Opinions: What if you could search "people's opinions on restaraunt X" and the response would be summary of all opinions on all websites to do with that restaraunt say 35% liked it with links to those who did and 65% did not like it, then summary of why they did or did not like it. (For an example see Live's search summary of opinions limited to a few products "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT - digital camera, 8MP, 3x Optical Zoom")
  • Search Topics not always Keywords: I search for papers on text mining on Google Scholar and find only a handful of papers that relate to what I am looking for. Most of the papers I would be interested in do not actually say "Text Mining" in the title, and sometimes not even in the paper but that is what they are talking about. I want the category "Text Mining" not the keywords "Text Mining".
  • Answer My Question: Sometimes I will search using a whole question, not just keywords and find someone else that asked the question on a forum, but did not get a response. I want to find the answer, not the question. This is not a new thought. There are already several approaches attempting to do this, but none of them are in the 90% accuracy on open ended questioning. (Examples: Ask Jeeves, START from MIT, etc.)
Please leave your thoughts. Anything welcome.

6 comments:

Scott A. Robinson said...

I want a comprehensive search of theological writings, including, but not limited to the KJV Bible.

Tim said...

When I look up reviews (for restaurants, hotels, etc.) I run into problems. Half of the results will state "We have 0 reviews for this restaurant. Be the first person to write a review." So I have to really go digging for decent information.
Anything that would get me actual reviews quicker would be nice. I do, however, want to read the whole review, and not just get a thumbs up or down, and not just a % of positive reviews.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard of ChaCha? Google may want to look into something like it. Human powered searching for those really tough/out there questions. I'm actually a ChaCha text guide. ChaCha started with browser based search assisting, but now they have dropped that and just focus on people texting in questions. Anyway...something to look into. Good luck!

And AMEN to Tim's comment.

Anonymous said...

Just one idea. They might be dumb, but with a shot. They might have it
already, but I don't know.
I am trying to find like 10 or 15 people on the maps and how close
they live to each other to help me to find out to see first and what
order to help me save time and money so I don't drive back and forth
in town. So make a way that you can look up many different address at
once and they tell you your fastest route.

Scott A. Robinson said...

Jon,

Microsoft MapPoint is a simple solution for routing one route as you describe. It will sequence the stops, provide driving directions, and estimate the time to complete your route. For easy editing, you can link a MapPoint file to an Excel database.

By the way, I am a logistics guy...

Debra said...

Is it too late to leave a comment?

I would love the Google search results to include more web addresses with a differing suffix than .com (i.e. .net, .org). There are a ton of sites that get overlooked because of the seemed bias that Google has for the .com sites.

I will admit that they have done a little better on including some of these sites on more popular searches, but as a whole the .com sites seem to get the preference.