Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pandora.com

For a time I had no hope that recommender systems like Amazon.com's "Recommended for You" section would be useful to me specifically. The predictions were often predictable. Buy a CD from artist A and get a list of the most popular CD's from that artist. Not useful.

Some time ago I came across Pandora.com, which is an adapting radio station, which chooses songs to play based on what songs you have added to a station and what songs you rate positively. I actually learned of several songs and artists I was unfamiliar with that I now like (such as "Question Everything" by 8Stops7). However, it does not play all songs that are similar to the songs I tell it. And some days I find myself disagreeing with all songs played.

I think that as time goes on recommender systems will improve and we will give some credibility to recommenders. Perhaps the Netflix prize will help in that regard.

No comments: